Crock Pot Cranberry Chicken

WARNING!!!! Photos may be disturbing.

Crock pot meals typically are not the most photogenic. I debated on whether to post my photos of last night's dinner because they do not do the meal justice. But, this super easy recipe for Crock Pot Cranberry Chicken was delicious.

Only a few ingredients were needed to prepare the chicken entree.
The supporting cast
Add a whole chicken, your slow cooker, and 5 hours and dinner will make itself.

The Family loved the not too sweet cranberry sauce as well as the moist, fall off the bone meat. I loved the ease of dinner prep. I spent all of 15 minutes to get dinner on the table. Sauteed zucchini and steamed rice to sop up all the sauce rounded out the meal.

With the Holidays right around the corner, add this recipe to your repertoire for a no fuss dinner option.

Crock Pot Cranberry Chicken

1 whole chicken - (6 - 7 pounds) - giblets removed
1 (15-ounce) can whole cranberry sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (2-ounce) envelope onion soup mix

Place chicken in crock pot and top with cranberry sauce, brown sugar and onion soup mix. Cook on low for 5 hours or until thermometer registers 170 degrees in the breast meat.

Remove chicken from crock pot to a platter. Slice and serve.

And now the photos for those you who are brave enough to look....


Our chicken waiting in the crock pot.

It made it to the cutting board.

And then to the platter.

The drumstick was reserved for My Middle One.

10 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, so easy! I will have to try that.

Michele said...

crockpot cooking is seldom pretty...but it is always tasty. Not to mention a huge time saver! I use my crockpot at least twice a week. It's great for the nights I have to work late.

That Girl said...

I agree - I make so many dishes that taste much better than they look.

kat said...

what a great flavor combination!

Megan said...

HA! i loved your warning. I think that everything that comes out of the crock pot looks below average but always tastes amazing.

PERFECT dish for the upcoming holidays!

Meg of BitofNutmeg

Anonymous said...

do you think you could do this with boneless skinless breasts?

amycaseycooks said...

lisa - you'll love the recipe and the fact that almost no prep is involved.

michele - I am starting to fall in love with my crock pot. I never could find recipes that I liked very much, but with all the blogs out there it is getting easier.

that girl - it is even harder to make my meals look appealing with it getting dark at 5:30. photography is not one of my strong points.

kat - just a little thanksgiving taste before thanksgiving!!

erin - the only problem i have had with boneless chicken in a crock pot is that it drys out more. I would cook it for a shorter time - maybe 4 hours for 3 - 4 pounds of boneless chicken. let me know how it comes out.

Rindy R said...

You are too funny. I have started to make some meals, as well, with my crock pot and they're not pretty - but they do taste great. This looks like it was melt in your mouth chicken. I'm going to try it! Thanks.

Robin said...

You are so funny warning us about the pictures! Looks good to me. I need to get my crockpot out and dust it off now that it is getting cold out here. Great recipe will have to try it. I have done this with apricot jam which is nice but I think the cranberry is pretty for this time of year!

Unknown said...

I make a similar thing but in the oven with chicken breasts. THe pretty red sauce is so nice, I actually serve it for dinner parties! IT is french onion soup, french dressing and a can of cranberry.